abortion / Catholic / Facebook

Supporting Pro-Life Legislation, Even With Exceptions

Last night, Facebook posts by pro-life advocates brought attention to Abby Johnson’s supports of a bill that would require a sonogram be performed and the doctor to explain it at least 24 hours before the abortion, except in cases of rape, incest, and abnormal development of the fetus (Greek for young one) the mother has the choice not to be told about the sonogram by the doctor or to see it.

Abby tells people not to get into a “tizzy” because there is an exception to the bill. She states that these exceptions are only 1% of all abortions performed, and that thousands of lives will still be saved if this bill passes. Abby says, “We win some battles before winning the war.”

Some pro-lifers are angered by Abby’s response to this exception, but I agree with her, the fight for the life of un-born will not be won in one stroke. My mom very eloquently explained on Facebook why it is important to move forward with imperfect pro-life legislation and that Abby is correct in supporting this bill even with the exceptions. See my mom’s response:

Louisa Millington
Although human law may not always express the moral imperative, which is protection of all human life in all of its stages, we must always work to change our laws, which have an obligation to protect and preserve all human life. With that being said, Pope John Paul II in The Gospel of Life tells us that we may support imperfect legislation, legislation, for example, that does not ban all abortions, but puts some control on the current more permissive laws by aiming to lower the number of abortions. We must attempt , however imperfectly, to incrementally reverse the massive tide of abortion through imperfect legislation. “This does not in fact represent an illicit cooperation with an unjust law, but rather a legitimate and proper attempt to limit its evil aspects.” Gospel of Life, no. 73

The same principals apply to imperfect politicians. If we wait for electable candidates that perfectly conform to our pro-life position, we will likely be continuously disappointed with representation supporting the platform of the Culture of Death.

The last thing I would say on this topic is that the abortion industry did not become this million plus, baby killing machine over night, and short of the hand of God intervening on our behalf, the rolling back of abortion rights will also not happen over night with one individual piece of legislation. It will likely happen one imperfect law at a time.

Video where Abby Johnson discusses this bill:

Standing In Defence of the Voiceless,

Timmerie Millington

3 Comments

  • avatar image

    Juda Myers

    Mar 22, 2011

    Reply

    No one has ever gone back for the exceptions. Abby has since stated that she will not support any bills with exceptions.
    Exceptions only compromise with the ones who want to kill innocent lives. We can't throw a few to them to satisfy their insatiable hunger for death. They know there is no difference in any baby. So we prove they are right in choice.

    Exceptions are just a more defined CHOICE!

    Let's not compromise the lives of anyone.

    Please read Abby's new article.
    abby johnson dot org (what to say)

    Choosing who dies is always pro choice.

    Rebecca Kiessling also wrote a great article for no exceptions.

  • avatar image

    Timmerie Millington

    Mar 23, 2011

    Reply

    Do you think that this bill should be passed even if a rape victim doesn't have to see the ultrasound?

    The lives that this bill will save won't be saved if we as pro-lifers don't support it because rape victims don't HAVE to view the ultrasound. I don't want exceptions but we certainly have to support such a bill that would save many lives and that would not be doing any harm to the woman or the child, despite the great benefit of the woman having to see the ultrasound of the beautiful child within her.

  • avatar image

    Timmerie Millington

    Mar 23, 2011

    Reply

    Rape victims count for 1% of all abortions... If 99% of babies could be saved with one bill would you not support it because it leaves out 1%? No we should support it then continue to go back to fight for the lives of the other 1%. Sometimes things have to be done incrementally even know I wish they weren't

    I don't support abortion under any circumstance and I will go back to stand up for the lives that aren't being protected under this bill.